Tuesday, April 6, 2010

YouTube-versity: No more questions, just ask YouTube

At my office, I get a lot of people asking how-to questions about Twitter, Facebook, really anything technology related. I don't mind it, in fact I love helping coworkers with technical problems. Last week, when I helped a woman understand how to use Twitter, it was as if she had learned to speak Spanish. A whole new world to explore, a new hunger to learn and communicate.

But everyone knows the old saying, give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach the man to fish and he'll eat for life. So if I can offer one bit of wisdom to readers, it's this: Stop asking the office tech geeks for help. Instead, ask YouTube.

Below are three ways readers can use YouTube to become the ultimate know-it-all:

How to tie a tie
I learned how to tie a tie from YouTube. I remember, I was still in college and I needed to wear a tie to a job fair. With my father no longer in the next room I decided to see what YouTube could teach me. Thankfully, YouTube has a dedicated network of tutorial producers. I never found a job at that job fair but I did the following week for my interview with Montgomery Media. I wore a tie that day too.



How to Tweet
Every business in today's economy needs someone to handle social networking. If your company doesn't have a Twitter, Facebook Fan Page or Foursquare Venue, chances are they should and the company just hasn't realized what potential lies in these networks.



Flash...in a flash
Web design, HTML, Action Script, these are some of the most challenging skills to learn and yet some of the most sought out in the business world. You can pay a University thousands of dollars to teach you the basics of all. But I say, see what you can learn from YouTube first.

I learned to create a Flash video using CS4 from the tutorial below. Sometimes the best way to learn Web design is to think of something you want to create, then ask YouTube how to do it.



-- Post From My iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment